Malaysia resort abductors make new phone calls after first contact with the kidnapped tourist's family


NSFW    The abductors of Chinese tourist Gao Hua Yuan and Filipino resort worker Marcy Dayawan from an upscale resort in Malaysia have made more calls following initial contact with Gao’s family on April 4, police said.

Sabah police commissioner Datuk Hamza Taib declined however to release the recipient of the calls. Police have also declined to divulge any information about the ransom as it could jeopardise the investigation and any rescue effort.

According to the New Straits Times, 22 people are being investigated, eight of them were detained the day after the kidnapping and only three were carrying identity documents.

Authorities suspect that an insider may have been involved in the kidnap of the two women. “Anyone wanting to enter the resort area needed to be brought or let in by [hotel] staff,” Taib said at at a press conference in Kota Kinabalu, after visiting the Sabah resort targeted by the gunmen on the night of April 2.

The kidnapping took place on April 2 at the Singamata Adventures and Reef Resort. Three men armed with M14 rifles raided the resort, while four others remained waiting on a boat. The men first broke into the staff quarters and took a Filipino worker. They were forcing the hotel worker to the boat when they spotted the Chinese tourist talking on her cellphone out on the deck. They forced the tourist into the boat as well and fled the scene.

Following the kidnap, policemen were stationed at the resort.

The Chinese consulate has since issued a warning on its website, asking travelers to take precautions when in the area.

Last November, a Taiwanese man and his wife were kidnapped from another Malaysian resort allegedly by Abu Sayyaf militants. After a month in captivity, the woman was released while the man was killed, the South China Morning Post reported.
Another journalist killed in Afghanistan: AP photographer Anja Niedringhaus shot dead by policeman

Facebook Conversation